Today (23 Dec 2018 – the first day post the second term exams), I asked my children – Dale (15), Datasha (11) – read 6 Christmas Chapters – Matt 1 & 2 / Luke 1 & 2 / John 1 and Rev. 12. I gave them two hours to do it. Post that I had them answer these questions: 1. The Genealogy of Jesus is found in which chapter? Matt.1
2. Sun clothed woman – in which chapter do we read about her? Rev. 12.
3. Fill in the Blanks, choosing one of the options: Math 1:21 says, “You shall call him Jesus for he will save his people from their_______!” (sin/sins). It is sins.
4. Name the mother of John the Baptist – Elizabeth.
5. Name the infirmity of Zechariah – dumb
6. Identify the odd thing in list: Gold, Frankinsense, Silver, Myrrh/ It is silver (gifts wisemen got Jesus)
7. True or False: Joseph had sex with his wife Mary, before Jesus was born. (false)
8. The longest chapter in these five chapters: Luke 1
9. The chapter in which you read the phrase, a classic Christmas definition: “The Word became Flesh” (John 1)
10. The chapter in which you read this phrase: “I bring you good news of great joy that is for all people!” (Luke 2)
11. Identify the Odd one in this list: Rahab, Sarah, Uriah’s Wife, Ruth, Tamar. (It is Sarah. Rest found in Jesus’ genealogy)
12. “Horn of Salvation” – Who? (Jesus)
13. “Sunrise from on High” – Who? (Jesus)
14. Simeon told who, “A Sword will pierce your soul?” (Mary)
15. Fill in the blanks: And at the end of ________days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb. (eight)
16. Fill in the blanks: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call his name___________ which means ____________ (Immanuel / God with us)
17. Fill in the blanks: Then Herod, when he saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, became furious, and he sent and killed all the male children in Bethlehem and in all that region who were _____years old or under (Two)
18. Who said to who: “Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.” (Herod to Wise Men).
19. The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. Who is the True Light? (Jesus)
20. and the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, in which she is to be nourished for _______days. And what does that signify? (1260 days. It means 42 months. The sun-clothed woman is perhaps Mary. Mary is type of a believer (who is living a life with challenges). Believers live in the wilderness. They are strangers while on this earth. This world is not their home. Their life on the wilderness called earth will be 42 months in this sense: 42 can be written as 6 x 7. 6 symbolizes Satan. 7 symbolizes God. Believers, when are in the earth will have to fight Satan, till their last breath. But God will help them, enable them to win over Satan.
21. The Dragon, Caesar, Herod. Identify the odd person out. (Caesar – the rest tried to kill Jesus).
22. Write four things that Joseph gave up for Jesus? (1.Rights – to have sex with wife till Jesus was born. 2. Reason – He rejected logic and married already-pregnant girl; Joseph had faith. 3. Residence – He kept moving to protect Jesus’ physical life. 4. Resources – He used the gold the wise men gave baby Jesus for his travels to protect Jesus perhaps.
23. “The angel told him, And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.” Who the angel speak to and about whom? (Zechariah and John).
24. In whose song do we read: he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. (Mary’s).
25. Name your favourite Christmas Character and explain he is your favourite by drawing examples from your life. Answer in 10 sentences. (For Dale, it turned out, it was Jesus,and for Datasha it was Mary).
Both the kids did well! Let our kids get into the Word during this Christmas season!