Bible scholars say this about Joseph’s hometown: “He was a native of arimathea, the town high up in the hills some thirty miles from Jerusalem to the north-west. But, small and secluded as this town was, it was famous as the birthplace of the great prophet Samuel.”
This Joseph was…
- “Rich” – Matt. 27:57. You may be rich. But riches cannot give you peace, or a place in heaven. You need Jesus.
- “Religious” – This Joseph was a respected member of the (Jewish) council (Mark 15:43). Religion cannot save. A relationship with Jesus will save. Eternal Life is to know Jesus.
- “Righteous” – The Bible says Joseph of Arimathea was a righteous man (Luke 23:50). Our righteous deeds cannot save us. They are like filthy rags, Prophet Isaiah writes. But out of gratitude to the Lord who saved us, we live righteously, enabled by the Spirit of God.
- “Reclusive” – This Joseph feared the Jews (John 19:38) and so he was a secret/reclusive follower of Jesus. There is no secret service in the Kingdom of God. Every man Jesus called, he called publicly, Billy Graham would often say.
- “Rent” – Joseph of Arimathea wanted to give his tomb to Jesus. Jesus just stayed for three days. Jesus rose again from the dead. So Joseph’s tomb became a place where Jesus stayed for three-days without having to pay ‘rent’! Joseph gave Jesus his tomb, Mary her womb, but there are those who wont give Jesus even a comb after having experienced his love! Sad! We must be willing to use the time, talent and treasures that Jesus has given us to build his kingdom!
(Duke Jeyaraj is the founder of Grabbing the Google Gen from Gehenna Mission – the G4 Mission. Find out more at http://www.dukev.org).